Series: Hellions Angels #1
Published by Avon Impulse on July 11th 2017
Buy on Amazon | Barnes & Noble | The Book Depository
Her biggest fantasy is about to become a reality. . .
Jed West is Mr. Hockey. The captain of the NHL’s latest winning team, the Denver Hellions–and the hottest player on the ice—at least according to every magazine. . .and Breezy Angel. Breezy has been drooling over Jed at games for years, and he plays a starring role in her most toe-curling fantasies. But dirty dreams don’t come true, right?
Then Jed saunters through the doors of her library, a last minute special guest for a summer reading event, and not only is he drop dead gorgeous up close, his personality is straight up swoon-worthy. He even comes to the rescue when she has an R-rated “Super Book Worm” costume malfunction. But when he mistakenly assumes she’s more into books than pucks, she’s too flustered to correct his mistake. And then comes a big kiss, followed by a teensy-tiny problem. Jed’s dating policy is simple: Never date a fan.
So what’s a fangirl going to have to do to convince her ultimate crush that he’s become less of a perfect fantasy, and more like the perfect man. . .for her?
This was a fun read, but I have to admit to being a little disappointed. With a title like Mister Hockey, I was expecting the sport to play a bigger part of the story. This isn’t really a sports romance – it’s a romantic story where the hero happens to be a star athlete.
The book has a great meet-cute. The hockey superstar sweeps in and saves the day for the geeky librarian and sparks fly.
I also like Breezy and Jed and found them to be likable characters.
My main issue with Mister Hockey (besides not really being about hockey) was the fact that heavier emotions were discussed, but not dealt with. Issues between Jed and his family, Breezy and her mother, Jed and Breezy…. all conflicts that were hinted at and resolved by glossing them over or with a quick conversation. Even big issues like Breezy losing her job only had their resolution hinted at.
Overall, this is a cute and fun read. It’s a book I enjoyed, but not one I would rush to buy.
Q&A with Lia Riley
A la Twitter style, please describe your book in 140 characters or less.
Curvy, nerdy librarian gets a chance to score with her fantasy crush, the captain of the Denver hockey team.
What did you enjoy most about writing this book?
I really enjoyed two things about writing this book: Breezy Angel and Jed West. I have always loved the trope about the so-called “ordinary” person who falls for a celebrity who in turn views them as nothing short of “extraordinary.” Probably one of the reason that Notting Hill is one of my all-time favorite movies. I wanted Jed to be alpha in the bedroom and obviously an amazingly talented athlete, but I didn’t want to right him as a one-dimensional “bro.” Instead, I wanted him to be a good guy, someone supportive of team mates and his woman. A natural leader who thrives by building up those around him, most importantly his lady. And as for Breezy, I wanted to write a woman who wasn’t drop-dead model perfect. I don’t know women like that in real life, and I want to see people in line around me at the grocery store get a chance to have their own swoony, earth-shattering happy ever after moments too!
Can you tell us about your upcoming book?
I am so excited for readers to get their hands on Book Two in the Hellions Angels series. Head Coach is coming out on November 21st and features (wait for it) Hellions Head Coach, Tor Gunnar and his enemies-to-lovers relationship with determined sports journalist Neve Campbell. There is hate kissing, a bet over a game of air hockey and a fake date to a wedding. Also, it’s one of the sexiest books I’ve ever written.
And don’t forget about Virgin Territory about the team goalie who is not only an almost-priest who was kicked out of seminary school, but also has a reputation for brawling. Plus he may or may not be a virgin hero.
If you had a theme song, what would it be?
Don’t Stop Believing by Journey…because I’m mostly an optimist, plus I would take immense satisfaction creating ear worms every where I went.
If you had to title your own life what would it be and why?
Did I Leave the Stovetop On?: A Lia Riley Story
Top Five Sexy Hockey Players
By Lia Riley
We all know hockey players are hot as puck. Here are five NHL players I’d love to have a face off with, and by face off I mean stare at and drool over. Who are your favorite hockey gods? Tell me in the comments, bonus point if you link to a pic ☺
In no particular order because all get two solid thumbs up:
- Sidney Crosby, Captain of the Pittsburgh Penguins (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidney_Crosby). He has boyish good looks and Tom Hardy lips, can’t ask for more than that!
- P.K Subban, Defenceman for the Nashville Predators (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P._K._Subban). His eyes could melt ice, plus he won Olympic gold in 2014 Sochi Olympics.
- Joffrey Lupul, Left winger for Toronto Maple Leafs (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joffrey_Lupul). He likes to play the guitar too, so not only is he pretty, he can also croon you a love song. Plus that jaw bone could cut glass.
- Tyler Seguin, Center for the Dallas Stars (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyler_Seguin) Three words: Full. Sleeved. Tattoos. (nuff said)
- Darnell Nurse, Defenceman for the Edmonton Oilers (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darnell_Nurse). Not only is he 6’3 of pure yum, he also roots for his sister who plays basketball for Team Canada. That makes him a hero in my book!
After studying at the University of Montana-Missoula, Lia Riley scoured the world armed only with a backpack, overconfidence and a terrible sense of direction. She counts shooting vodka with a Ukranian mechanic in Antarctica, sipping yerba mate with gauchos in Chile and swilling fourex with stationhands in Outback Australia among her accomplishments.
Latest posts by Elizabeth (see all)
- Blog Tour Review & Giveaway: Mister Hockey by Lia Riley - July 13, 2017
- Blog Tour Review: Out Of The Ashes by RC Boldt - May 9, 2017
- Blog Tour Review & Giveaway: Hot for the Fireman by Gina Maxwell - April 20, 2017
- Blog Tour Review & Giveaway: Million Dollar Cowboy by Lori Wilde - April 6, 2017
- Review: Wedded Bliss by Celeste Bradley - April 2, 2017